Dual Monitors

Brian Gaynor briang at pmccorp.com
Thu Sep 15 21:34:24 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-15 at 16:58 -0400, Shawn Guillemette wrote:
> I have a Inspiron 9300 with a Gforce FX 9600 PCIexpress. On the back
> there are two video outputs. A DVI and a VGA output. I would like to use
> an extra crt monitor on the vga output. Im unable to get it working
> using the menu --> system setting app to anable the dual heads.
>

> any hints would be great ..

On 2 separate systems (Dimension 4550 w/ nVidia 5700 and Precision
Workstation 470 w/ Quadro 280) I was only able to get dual monitors to
work with the proprietary nVidia driver. That said it works very well. I
added the following to the videocard "Device" section of my xorg.conf:

	Option		"TwinView"
	Option		"UseEdidFreqs" "1"
	Option		"Metamodes" "1280x1024,1280x1024"

I have a pair of flat panel displays on each machine, so the only
metamode I bothered to configure was full resolution on each display
(see the nVidia readme for details).

Brian

--
Brian Gaynor