FTP Servers (again)

Brian D. McGrew brian at visionpro.com
Thu Sep 15 22:31:52 UTC 2005

I'm back on my kick of looking for a better FTP server.  I posted this
once before but the boss-man has changed the requirements again so here
goes!

My users are not just straight users that get a home directory and
login.  I have customers.  Each customer has at least one site but most
have several site.  Each customer site has multiple users.  So for
example

Customers

+--- Site 1
|   +--- User1
|   +--- User2
|   +--- User3
+--- Site 2
|   +--- User1
|   +--- User2
|   +--- User3
+--- Site 3
|   +--- User1
|   +--- User2
|   +--- User3
|   +--- CUSTOMER-SUPERUSER

So each user needs to have their own directory at their respective site
level and be able to get to ../ to the site directory and into their
peers directory but not be able to cross the boundaries of a site.
Unless of course they're designated as a CUSTOMER_SUPERUSER in which
case they'll still have a home directory under their respective site but
be able to access the entire customer specific folder and all that
customers sites and users.

That takes care of my customers and then I've got my employees who are
in my staff group who need to have access to their real live Unix home
directories as well as global access to the customer file-system.

I'm hoping that someone has been on a project like this in the past and
can recommend which FTP server to use and how to configure it.

Thanks,

-brian

Brian D. McGrew { brian at visionpro.com || brian at doubledimension.com }
---