Linux-compatible webcam recommendations invited

Reshat Sabiq sabiq at csociety.org
Fri Sep 16 01:57:29 UTC 2005

Tim wrote:

>Well, if you wanted to have a video phone like we've all seen in the
>movies for the last twenty years or so...
>
>But on a serious note, some people will use the camera to take a still
>shot of something, so it is handy to have resolutions that are better
>than the usual, quite crappy, webcam offerings.

Dudes and dudettes,

i just noticed yesterday that even though spca driver gets my STX to
work, it appears to have made my sound device unrecognized. I can't have
any audio at this time. I'll probably have to uninstall it.
Suppposedly, snd-usb-audio driver should pick up the webcam mic, but i'm
guessing spca, and/or snd-usb-audio caused an IRQ conflict.
I'll probably have to return this one, and go for QC Pro 4000 this
weeekend, even though that one is about twice as expensive, w/ roughly
the same features.