[HOW] Changing FC3 file system to accept longer file names?

David G. Miller (aka DaveAtFraud) dave at davenjudy.org
Fri Sep 16 02:52:56 UTC 2005

jpaulson at sedl.org wrote:

> I was wondering how do I get the FC3 file system to accept longer file
> names?  I have a few files that are X characters long on my Mac OSX
> machine and when I move the files over to my FC3 system I get the
> error of the file being too many characters and to rename it.  The
> problem is I can't rename these files for whatever reason.  Help!
>
> Thanks,
> jay

Working from my somewhat foggy memory of when I had to dig up such
information in some prior lifetime, the values in question will
typically be in various header files for each file system type.  You may
also find there are limitations for your shell if you attempt to access
the files from the Linux side.  Both of these can be changed but require
a re-compile of the affected programs (kernel, shell, whatever).  Also,
there is typically both a limitation for both the maximum file name
length and a separate limit for the maximum path length; neither can be
exceeded.

Cheers,
Dave