Dual Monitors

Shawn Guillemette shawn at guillemette.org
Fri Sep 16 13:12:06 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-15 at 14:34 -0700, Brian Gaynor wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-09-15 at 16:58 -0400, Shawn Guillemette wrote:
> > I have a Inspiron 9300 with a Gforce FX 9600 PCIexpress. On the back
> > there are two video outputs. A DVI and a VGA output. I would like to use
> > an extra crt monitor on the vga output. Im unable to get it working
> > using the menu --> system setting app to anable the dual heads.
> >

> > any hints would be great ..
> >

> On 2 separate systems (Dimension 4550 w/ nVidia 5700 and Precision
> Workstation 470 w/ Quadro 280) I was only able to get dual monitors to
> work with the proprietary nVidia driver. That said it works very well. I
> added the following to the videocard "Device" section of my xorg.conf:
>
> 	Option		"TwinView"
> 	Option		"UseEdidFreqs" "1"
> 	Option		"Metamodes" "1280x1024,1280x1024"
>
> I have a pair of flat panel displays on each machine, so the only
> metamode I bothered to configure was full resolution on each display
> (see the nVidia readme for details).
>
> Brian
>
> --
> Brian Gaynor
> www.pmccorp.com
> FC4/Linux on DELL Inspiron 5160 3.0Ghz
> canis 14:23:52 up 35 min, 1
> user, load average: 0.39, 0.22,

Brian,

I tried the options list you sugested this morning. I was able to get
the crt monitor to come on. However it turned the Laptop LCD off. In the
end Idd like to use the vga port to span the desk top from the lcd to
the crt monitor connected to the VGA port.

Below is what I used.
       Option          "TwinView"
       Option          "UseEdidFreqs" "1"
       Option          "Metamodes" "1280x1024,1280x1024"

Thanks for your time.

Shawn