Program to edit video DVDs

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Fri Sep 16 15:41:12 UTC 2005

Paul Smith wrote:
> On 9/13/05, Robin Laing <Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca> wrote:
>
>>>I have got a video DVD disk, which I would like to copy without
>>>certain parts of its contents. Is there some software specific for
>>>accomplish that goal?
>>
>>I don't know of a single DVD editor but you can use mplayer/menconder to
>>pull tracks from the DVD to save as what ever format you wish.  You can
>>also set times.  It is command line, not GUI but it works great.  Save
>>to a raw avi and the use avidemux for futher editting.
>>
>>Many options are open using mplayer/mencoder.
>

> Thanks, Robin. In truth, I am only wanting to get rid of some tracks
> of a certain video DVD disk.
>
> Paul

Paul,
Have you ever really looked at how DVD's are created?  I expected a
series of files that would represent each track.  Boy was I wrong.

Now just to remove some tracks would still require breaking up the VOB's
and re-encoding.  This can all be done with mplayer/mencoder options.

Here is an example from the mplayer man page.
    Encode DVD title #2, only selected chapters:
    encoder  dvd://2  -chapter  10-15  -o title2.avi -oac copy -ovc \
               lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4

I have read about DVDrip but I have not tried it.  I didn't have enough
disk space on my computer to rip a DVD.

In any case you will still have to author the DVD if you want to play it
as a DVD.  I have not done this yet.

I have found that this is a massive learning curve.  I found that
working with one program was much more useful for my purposes than
bouncing around between applications.  I have grow partially
knowledgeable with mplayer/mencoder but there are so many options
available to the user that it could take years to become an expert.
Hey, but that is what keeps me young.

Look at both of these links.

http://qdvdauthor.sourceforge.net/
http://www.tappin.me.uk/Linux/dvd.html