NFS puzzle - need help exporting a machines root file system

Wolfgang wolfgang at rpi.net.au
Sat Sep 17 14:08:38 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-09-17 at 06:35 -0700, ramb at sonic.net wrote:
> Wolfgang <wolfgang at rpi.net.au> writes:
>

> > Just made a little mistake here myself.. Here's the correction.
> >
> > So the /etc/exports file should look like this. On B machine do this.
> >
> > /      A(rw,sync,norootsquash) ("A" being the IP address of the system wanting to
> >        mount file system.)
> >
> > and you create your mount point. /mnt/tmp1 on the A machine.
> >
> > then on the A machine mount it as.
> >
> > mount B:/ /mnt/tmp1 (B is the IP address of machine)
> >
> > Ok, that should be correct this time around..
> >
> > Wolf
>
> I've tried this and it does not work - the error message is in my first
> post. Exporting directories lower than / works fine.
>
> My case might be more complicated: Both machines are exporting filesystems.
>
> >From my original message:
> >I want to export the root file system from machine A and import it
> >on machine B. On B I would like the file system to be mounted
> >as /mnt/A_root.
>
> The complication is that on A (machine wanting to export root) there
> are some directories below / that come from B. But the NFS export
> code should handle that right?
>
> Oh well thanks for the suggestions.
> -Ram

Well, I've just tried mounting a directory which I created
"/up2date/test", and it worked fine for me. Taking note that you can
only have one NFS mount per machine.(As one seems to over ride the
other) Also you might try this (I didn't have this system running when I
relied before, so these other parameters might help)

/test/test/		A(rw,sync,no_wdelay,no_subtree_check,no_root_squash)

Wolf