xorg-x11 update may have broken my system

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sat Sep 17 15:09:40 UTC 2005

Bart Couvreur wrote:

>On 9/17/05, sguazt sguazt <sguazt at hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>  I have a similar problem.
>>
>>This morning I updated my laptop (Dell Latitude D505) with last fc4 updates,
>>i.e. xorg-x11, qt-devel, dia.
>>
>>After those (and after restarting X) X crashed (and the screen too).
>>Usually I boot into init 3 and then I "startx" X (with enlightenment as a
>>wm).
>>After those updates every time I try to start-X the screen crash; I press
>>Ctrl-Alt-Backspace but the screen is always corrupted (i.e. I don't see the
>>textual console) and the only way I can restore it is by typing reboot (or
>>poweroff) 8-|
>>
>>My graphics chipset is the Intel i855GM.
>>
>>The bad thing for me is that probably this week I have to give up to a Quake
>>match :((((
>>
>>Any help is appreciated!!
>>
>>Thanks guys!!
>>

>Hey guys, I had it to, solved it (or more a temporary solution): I
>went back to the original xorg files from the installdvd: I checked in
>/var/cache/yum/updates-released/packages which xorg-packages I had and
>copied the corresponding ones to a folder from the dvd and installed
>them with rpm -Uvh --oldpackage *.rpm
>X then happely works again!
>
>Just remeber that the libvgawh.a thing exsists in that version of xorg!
>
>And now I'm waiting for a new update of xorg!
>
>Hope this helps,
>
>Bart

Don't forget to file a bug report against the newer version. It concerns
me that the newer version would bomb out as badly as it has with some
users. I assumed the problems were corrected and the less buggy version
of X would be used and patched for the security update.
I have an Intel 815 which I can test out later with the new version of X.

Jim

--
QOTD:
	If it's too loud, you're too old.