SSH monitoring

Richard Emberson remberson at edgedynamics.com
Sat Sep 17 18:03:18 UTC 2005

I've just installed pam_abl and tested it ... seems to work, but I've
got a question.
I put the pam_abl line :

auth        required      /lib/security/pam_abl.so
config=/etc/security/pam_abl.conf

in /etc/pam.d/system-auto. The problem is that at the top of the system-auto
file there is the warning:

# This file is auto-generated.

Now my question, where can I put the pam_abl line so that it gets
automatically
placed into system-auto each time authconfig is run?

Thanks
RME

Neil Cherry wrote:

> CHAT KHODA wrote:
>
>> Dear friends,
>> I wish to :
>>
>> 1- Monitor all of the connections(or tries) to my SSH
>> port including the source IP address.
>

> permit() {
>     # I want to log just the startup of the conversation
>     /sbin/iptables -A INPUT -s ${1} -p tcp --dport 22 -j LOG --syn \
>                    --log-level  info --log-prefix "iptables permit: " \
>                    --log-ip-options
>     /sbin/iptables -A INPUT -s ${1} -p tcp --dport 22 -j ACCEPT
> }
>

> # Deny these sites access to my machine
> deny() {
>     /sbin/iptables -A INPUT -s ${1} -p tcp --dport 22 -j LOG \
>                    --log-level alert --log-prefix "iptables deny: " \
>                    --log-ip-options
>     /sbin/iptables -A INPUT -s ${1} -p tcp --dport 22 -j DROP
> }
>

> # =[ Flush the tables completely
> ]============================================
> /sbin/iptables -F
>
> # =[ Permit list
> ]============================================================
> #permit 127.0.0.0/8             # Local stuff
> permit 10.0.0.0/8               # Local stuff
> permit 172.16.0.0/12            # Local stuff
> permit 192.168.0.0/16           # Local stuff
>
> # =[ Deny list
> ]==============================================================
> deny 0.0.0.0/0          # Deny everyone else
>
> The logging part is probably what you want most but the above may
> prove to be useful.
>
>> 2- Limit the numer of unsuccessfull attempts to login
>> to just two attempts per session.
>

> Take a look at pam_abl ( http://www.hexten.net/pam_abl/ ). Now that
> i use the above I've had no incidents of needing pam_abl. That doesn't
> mean I won't.

may contain confidential information.  Any unauthorized review, use,
copies of the original message.