Swat and FC4 -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at att.net
Sun Sep 18 13:18:35 UTC 2005

I have been trying to set up samba between my FC4 computer [Kernel
2.6.12-1.1447_FC4] and a newly acquired Dell  running MS-XP without much
success.

Presently I am trying to get samba swat [installed via yumex this
morning] working but for whatever reason it won't run?  I make the entry
for localhost:901 in Firefox but it "can not establish a connection" to
swat.  I think I've made the needed additions to /etc/xinetd.d/swat

cat /etc/xinetd.d/swat
# default: off
#              to configure your Samba server. To use SWAT, \
#              connect to port 901 with your favorite web browser.
service swat
{
        disable = yes
        port            = 901
        socket_type     = stream
        wait            = no
        only_from       = 127.0.0.1
        user            = root
        server          = /usr/sbin/swat
        log_on_failure  += USERID
}

Is swat compatible with FC4?  It appears that after entering the
localhost:901 in the browser I should get a login screen, but it's not
happening.  If there's some common error I'm probably making it.  Any
suggestion appreciated.

Thank you.

Bob Goodwin   Zuni, Virginia