How to create a partition inside an existing partition?

oldman talbotscott at cox.net
Sun Sep 18 17:50:34 UTC 2005

David Le wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Thanks everyone who answers my question about utility
>to burn FC4 CDs. I was able to use Roxie to do that,
>although it's not a free software.
>
>I'm a new user to FC4 and I'm really impressed about
>its functionalities.
>
>I want to setup a dual-boot of WinXP and FC4 on my
>labtop IBM ThinkPad T43. There is one physical disk of
>80GB and there were already 2 partitions (created by
>IBM when I bought this labtop): Partition #1 (70GB),
>partition #2 (4GB).
>Question:
>
>1) Inside partiont #1, I want to create partions
>needed for installation of FC4. How can I do that
>correctly and safely?

    You don't create a partition inside another, but you must resize the
existing partition then make a new partition.
There are quite a few tools, the most famous being Partition Magic.  You
should google for them, make sure that you get a non-destructive
partitioner.

>It would be appreciated if you can give me as much
>detail as you can.

    Installation is a HUGE subject to put into 1 email, but I will
suggest that it is 1000% easier if you have a second, blank hdd, so that
you can be fairly fearless, knowing it is practically impossible top
screw up your existing installation (in fact you won't have to mess with
it much at all).

Try this link as a start:

http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_4_installation_notes.html

>2) What is the reasonable size of partition that
>should be reserved for running FC4?

    This varies quite a bit depending on what you want to do with your
system, but 5GB for basic stuff including Xserver, some multimedia etc
10 GB if you're going to want to burn CDs and have movie files mp3s etc
I use 15 GB and may need more if I ever need to burn dual layer DVDs.

Scott