xorg-x11 may have broken my system

George White aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca
Sun Sep 18 18:33:03 UTC 2005

Quoting Harry Nicholls <hnicholls at sympatico.ca>:

>[...] I accessed a Fedora mirror site and downloaded all the rpms for
> xorg-x11*.FC4.45  and used your suggestion of rpm -Uvh with the -oldpackages
> option.  Xserver :0 now work fines again.

Depends on what you mean by "fine" -- to me, a system on which "It is possible
for a user to gain elevated privileges by loading a specially crafted pixmap
image." (quoting from the announcement for xorg-x11 release 37.FC4.48.1) would
only be considered "fine" by the standards of a certain well-known large
software vendor, and certainly not by the linux community.

--
George N. White III
Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia