gray up2date icon in FC4

Amadeus W. M. amadeus84 at cablespeed.com
Sun Sep 18 18:59:35 UTC 2005

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 09:38:37 -0700, oldman wrote:

> Amadeus W. M. wrote:
>
>>Why does the up2date applet in FC4 think it can't connect to RHN (showing
>>a gray circle with a red diagonal line as in "access denied"), when if I
>>start the applet, up2date works fine?
>>

>     The applet turns gray when the RHN servers can't be reached. usually
> you need to
> right click on it and select check for updates to have it try to connect
> to the servers again.
> If they are up again the applet will become blue again.  Or (as you
> discovered) clicking
> on it and running a session will "fix" it (assuming the servers are up)
>
> Scott

It remained gray even though the update worked flawlessly. I wish it
didn't work though, because the old X server bug hit me again, and I had
to downgrade to the original xorg rpms, do the libvgahw.a trick, etc.
What a pain... Why is something being shipped with FC, if it doesn't work
as it should? I have a mainstream intel motherboard + video chip and this
bug still manifests after it has been reported to death and after so long?