xorg-x11 may have broken my system

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sun Sep 18 22:31:12 UTC 2005

George White wrote:

>Quoting Harry Nicholls <hnicholls at sympatico.ca>:
>

>>[...] I accessed a Fedora mirror site and downloaded all the rpms for
>>xorg-x11*.FC4.45  and used your suggestion of rpm -Uvh with the -oldpackages
>>option.  Xserver :0 now work fines again.
>>

>Depends on what you mean by "fine" -- to me, a system on which "It is possible
>for a user to gain elevated privileges by loading a specially crafted pixmap
>image." (quoting from the announcement for xorg-x11 release 37.FC4.48.1) would
>only be considered "fine" by the standards of a certain well-known large
>software vendor, and certainly not by the linux community.

I agree with you that security is important. It is also important to
have normal priveledges on your computer also for your use. Since this
version of X was a security update, elevated status to get the bug fixed
should be a priority to fix X with an improved version.

We don't want to mirror the big software company.
I'm getting ready to upgrade my FC3 installation to FC4 and apply all of
the updates including X to it. If a bug report is filed already, I'll
attach my findings to it. Intel 815 and Intel 865G video cards working
is important to me with the computers I own or are property of my employer.

Has anyone filed a bug against X yet?

Jim

--
QOTD: