xorg-x11 update may have broken my system

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Mon Sep 19 03:30:41 UTC 2005

D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:

>The recent xorg update (from 45 to 48.1) DID break my system.
>
>X now works.
>
>NOTE: the xorg-x11-Mesa-libGLU-6.8.2-37.FC4.48.1 package was not
>cleanly downgraded.  I don't know why.  Here is the message:
>
>/sbin/ldconfig: relative path `1' used to build cache
>error: %postun(xorg-x11-Mesa-libGLU-6.8.2-37.FC4.48.1.i386) scriptlet failed, exit status 1
>
>rpm -q says both the 45 and 48.1 version are installed.  Highly
>unlikely since they conflict.  I guess that 3d might be broken on this
>installation, but I've never knowingly used it anyway.

This scriptlet error might be important for debugging for the
developers. For your system, you might need to erase the db for the
newer version, in this backwards case. Usually, you would remove the
rpmdb entry for the older package. The option to rpm  --justdb removes
the entry which will not remove any actual files. Then you can run rpm
-q --verify on the older Mesa package to see if your older rpm is clean.

Jim

--
QOTD:
	If it's too loud, you're too old.