Can't add second disk to FC4 to rsync every night.

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 15:46:14 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-09-19 at 09:47, Guy Fraser wrote:

> Would it work if you were to put the drive into an external
> USB or firewire case and start it after the system is
> running?
>
> If it is a problem at boot time only, it may not bother
> with the volume information after boot. Just a guess,
> may be worth trying.

I think that would work.  Basically you just need to get
them into a working system long enough to wipe out what
is on them. You can have the same problem without LVM if
you have the same label on 2 disks (and that happened if
you moved earlier RH/fedora disks from different systems
into the same PC).  If you are desperate you should be able
to boot a knoppix CD or some other version that doesn't
look for LVM and once the system is up, do something like
cat /dev/zero >/dev/your_drive (being very careful to
get the device name right...) and interrupt it after a
few seconds with a control-c.  Then when you run fdisk it
will say you have a bad partition table and offer to build
a new one.  Be sure you don't need to recover anything from
the disk before trying that...

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesll at gmail.com