installing Fedora w/o booting from CD

Ian Pilcher i.pilcher at comcast.net
Mon Sep 19 18:50:17 UTC 2005

vincent fail wrote:
> I want to install fedora on a old pc that doesn't have
> an option setting in the bios that allows the pc to
> boot from a CD.

Is any OS installed right now?  All you really need to get going is the
kernel (vmlinuz) and ramdisk image (initrd.img) that can be found on the
first CD.  If you can get those on the system somehow and configure a
bootloader properly, you should be good to go.

(I've completely stopped burning disks for installations.  I simply
download the DVD ISO, loopback mount it, get the kernel and ramdisk
image, and add them to my GRUB configuration.)

Ian Pilcher                                        i.pilcher at comcast.net