NEWBIE: Configuring Linux-Windows network

Ankush Grover ankush174 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 07:26:15 UTC 2005

> So I followed the guide, as you said. How do I check if those ports are
> open? Is there a problem if SELinux is on? I think it is, not really sure.
>
> About that linuxuser = windowsuser
>
> I want to share files from my account, which is "blackline" in linux,
> and the user on the windowscomputer is "Larsas", so then, should I write
> "blackline = Larsas"?

yes it should be like this.

for adding the samba password for user blackline

smbpasswd -a blackline

How do I share files then, from the Linuxmachine? Where do I put files I
> want to share?
>
> After doing what you told me i entered "Show all computers in workgroup"
> from Windows, there i saw "Larsas" and "Samba Server (Localhost)"

there are few examples given in /etc/samba/smb.conf how to share the files.

;[myshare]
; comment = Mary's and Fred's stuff
; path = /usr/somewhere/shared
; valid users = mary fred
; public = no
; writable = yes
; printable = no
; create mask = 0765

[public]
; path = /usr/somewhere/else/public
; public = yes
; only guest = yes
; writable = yes
; printable = no

Like this you can share the files.

Don't forget to check the configuration file with testparm and
reload/restarting the smb service after making changes.

testparm

service smb reload

Regards

Ankush Grover