Grub doesn't install

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Tue Sep 20 10:59:02 UTC 2005

Ian wrote:

> Hi Jim,
> Thanks for the response.
> My problem is, though, that I can't boot FC4 at all, because grub
> didn't get installed when I reinstalled FC4. The master boot record
> still contains lilo from my install of Mandrake, and it won't boot
> FC4. So I have no way of changing any grub settings. I think they call
> it stuck between a rock and a hard place...
> Ian

An easy way to wipe out the MBR information is by booting up a startup
disk for the w9x series OS and typing "fdisk /MBR". This wipes out grub
or lilo from the master boot record. A DOS boot disk with fdisk on it
should do the same, using "fdisk /mbr"
XP uses the recovery console and I believe you type fixmbr to clear the mbr.
To clear the MBR in Linux, I don't know how to do this. There is
probably a utility to clear the MBR somewhere.

Jim

--
QOTD:
	If it's too loud, you're too old.