mounting floppy in read/write mode by user

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Tue Sep 20 21:29:09 UTC 2005

On Tue, Sep 20, 2005 at 11:45:59AM -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:
> Deepak Shrestha wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >In my FC4, I have made a link to floppy device (KDE)
> >but coundn't mount it (in user mode). when I try to
> >mount the floppy, KDE ends up with error
> >
> >-------------------------
> >Could not mount device
> >
> >The reported error was
> >
> >mount: I couln't determine the the filesystem type,
> >and none was specified
> >-------------------------
> >
> >but if i mount it from command line in su mode its
> >fine. it seems like users are not permitted. how do I
> >make the users be able to mount the flopy in
> >read/write mode?
> >
> >my fstab looks like this
> >------
> >/dev/fd0                /media/floppy           auto
> > pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
> >/dev/hdd                /media/cdrecorder       auto
> > pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
> >---------
> >
> >I wonder why my cdwriter is working perfectly in user
> >mode. It can burn CDs without any error.
>
> The burner program probably runs suid root.
>

> >Any Suggestion?
>
> Try editing /etc/fstab (as root) to have ",user" after
> ",managed"
>
> Mike
Boy am I confused. I hope some one can straighten this out:
1. the user option allows users to mount. See man fstab for that
information.
2. Since the /dev/fd0 is managed, which means that it is managed by
fstab-sync and option you add like user to the fstab file will
disappear the next time you reboot. You need to have user added
through entries in the fstab-sync i(or hal) related files.
2. Now the clincher. My fstab entry looks just like the one above and
I can mount /media/floppy as a normal user. So my confusion.

Or I am all wet and someone will correct me.

By protracting life, we do not deduct one jot from the duration of death.
		-- Titus Lucretius Carus
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University