how to start up scim under English environment

Jens Petersen petersen at redhat.com
Wed Sep 21 00:49:23 UTC 2005

Yuandan Zhang wrote:
> I have scim as an input tool. it works well with FC3. after upgraded to
> FC4. It can be auto triggered if I login using Chinese as the system
> language. however, I can't start up scim if i login using English as the
> system language. In fact, I started it at the command line 'scim'. but i
> tried to trigger a pinyin input using ctrl+space, but  doesn't respond.
> any help is appreciated.

(There shouldn't be difference between using scim on FC3 and FC4 - are you
using the packages in Fedora Extras?)

Anyway to setup scim to be used by default for any language on Fedora Core,
do the following:

$ mkdir ~/.xinput.d
$ ln -s /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/scim ~/.xinput.d/default

If you only want it for say Australian English, then replace
"default" by "en_AU" in the above command.  Then restart X
and it will take effort.

Hope that helps,

Jens