Newbie PPC Core 4 questions

Adam Boettiger boettiger at pobox.com
Wed Sep 21 16:18:10 UTC 2005

I've tried downloading the PPC version of Core 4 several times to CD-R.
Mediacheck shows all but the first .iso pass. Regardless of which mirror I
use, the first .iso file always seems to faily the Mediacheck.

I'm wishing to dual-partition my PowerBook G4 with OS X and Core 4. For the
life of me I cannot understand why one file would fail the Media check from
all mirrors.

Then, following the instructions, I attempted to run 'sha1sum' to compare
the Disc 1 .iso file with the reg from the site; however my terminal in OS X
will not find the command 'sha1sum' to compare the two files.

Any ideas on what to try next would be appreciated.

Also - Is Fedora one of the kernels that will allow for repartitioning
during the install process, or should I be reinstalling and repartitioning
OS X prior to attempting a dual-partition install?

If not, it is my understanding that for a machine running 1 GHz of RAM I
should create a swap partition of about 2GB in size and a second partition
for Core 4 that is around 10GB and that file type OS X extended is the
preferred format. Is this correct? My HD is 80G and I do not anticipate
using Fedora for any heavy image storage - mostly documents, email and
internet.

TIA

AB
--
Adam Boettiger

NOTE: I value your time. If it is faster and easier
for you to reply to this message by phone, please
call my voicemail toll-free at (800) 205-1167.

Send a text page: https://www.skytel.com/servlet/SendMessage
To: 8002051167

boettiger at pobox.com
(971) 222-6385 mobile :: (240) 337-2553 fax
Portland, Oregon USA