Newbie PPC Core 4 questions

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Sep 22 01:38:40 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-09-21 at 18:29 -0700, Adam Boettiger wrote:
> On 9/21/05 9:34 AM, "Michael A. Peters" <mpeters at mac.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2005-09-21 at 09:18 -0700, Adam Boettiger wrote:
> >> I've tried downloading the PPC version of Core 4 several times to CD-R.
> >> Mediacheck shows all but the first .iso pass. Regardless of which mirror I
> >> use, the first .iso file always seems to faily the Mediacheck.
> >>
> >> I'm wishing to dual-partition my PowerBook G4 with OS X and Core 4. For the
> >> life of me I cannot understand why one file would fail the Media check from
> >> all mirrors.
> >
> > There's a bug in mediacheck. With some CD drives, it is not reliable.
>
> Okay, mediacheck fails on .iso disc one PPC. But you and others say there is
> a bug in it, so I just continued the install, skipping the check. I get
> initialization lines scrolling on the install of disc 1 for about 30
> seconds, then it just stops and the screen goes blank - even before I can
> get to disc 2 and any configuration of the install.
>
> I've burned 3 sets of iso files - one directly from the Redhat servers, two
> from different mirrors. The same thing happens every time. I've tried both a
> GUI install hitting return as well as a text install using 'linux
> textinstall' and the same thing happens. I end up each time having to force
> quit the laptop by powering it down holding the power button down until it
> goes off and then restarting it again.
>
> I can see it's starting Anaconda, so something is happening... Just can't
> get past disc 1.
>
> The only thing I have not tried is to burn and boot from the single DVD
> image, and that only because my DVD drive is read-only.
>
> This install is going into an unpartitioned drive so as to let the
> partitioner set optimium settings for swap etc.
>
> I have ordered Linux Yellow Dog on CD's. Other than going back to Core 3,
> does anyone have anything else I should try?
>
> TIA
>
> Mac PowerBook G4, 80G HD, 20G LaCie external USB drive (yes I called Apple
> and they said I could install it into the external HD...)
> 1 GHz RAM, Aluminum PowerBook
>
> </stumped>
----
perhaps someone in Portland Linux Users Group could burn a set of disc's
or dvd disc for you - perhaps it's your burner
http://www.pdxlug.org/

I have had problems in the past on occasion when I burn them on a faster
drive than the read drive and I generally burn installer cd's at 4X just
because it's worked for me.

Craig

believed to be clean.