is floppy so old fashioned?

François Patte francois.patte at math-info.univ-paris5.fr
Thu Sep 22 04:00:11 UTC 2005

Deepak Shrestha wrote:
> exactly! I am having similar problem with my floppy in
> FC4. I can only mount it as root. so far no solution
> yet.

No, there is a solution: create a directory /media/floppy

Then add to the fstab:

/dev/fd0 /media/floppy auto pamconsole,exec,noauto 0 0

*Do not add "managed"* as for other devices like cdrom... If you do so,
HAL, udev, whatever will remove the line in the fstab and the floppy
directory in media directory.

This work under FC3

Maybe, on FC4 there no more /dev/fd0! I don't know.

I could read a post on this list say something like that:

grab the hal source from CVS, get the patch somewhere (gives the
address), then: cd hal/FC3 (there is no FC3 directory when you get the
sources from cvs!) then apply the patch and build.....

OK! Compiling the hal daemon from cvs require a version of glib2 that
you can't find in FC3 repositories, You maybe have to get their sources
from cvs too and perhaps some other things. So are going the things!

My last remark: do we have to waste our time compiling and patching if
we use Linux? In this case we will not have time to use it, so Linux is
useless except for people who develop it!

--
François Patte
UFR de mathématiques et informatique