exercise a hub

THUFIR HAWAT hawat.thufir at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 05:13:48 UTC 2005

I have a hub I'd like to run some tests on.  For this purpose I've
acquired two older desktops, I know that sounds backwards, but there
you are.  I'm going to put a minimal, one-cd install on both desktops
and connect them with the hub.  There won't be an internet connection,
nor any other computers connected to the hub but the two old desktops.

Why exercise the hub you ask?  Great question.

My neighbor has a SMC7004VWBR 802.11b wireless router which I connect
through.  I have an Asus WL-330g 802.11g ethernet adapter which I use
for the wi-fi connection.  It's supposed to be possible to connect the
adapter to hub, and then several computers to the hub.  I've spoken
with Asus, who tried it with a similar SMC router and confirmed the
setup.  I spoke with SMC, who confirm that it's not the router.

I haven't totally eliminated the Asus WL-330g adapter as a suspect in
this, but the net, so to speak, is closing on the hub.  The SMC tech
alternately suggested that a firewall running on the computer is
causing the problem, or that the hub is at fault.  I looked through
the Windows2000 software installer, nothing there.  Similarly, there
wasn't a firewall under linux, this is on a dual boot machine, of
course.  Again, this points to the hub.  I went through my browser
settings with SMC and have tried multiple browsers.  I want to stay
focused on the hub for the moment.

The SMC tech suggested a "managed" hub, and definitely I'll check that
out.  In the meantime, though, I have these two older desktops and
want to find out, if possible, if there's something wonky with the
hub.

Unfortunately, the only diagnostic tool I really have is "ping."
Obviously the two machines should be able to ping each other through
the hub.  I'll also try and set up some ftp, but I'd like to go at
this systematically.

Is there a list of tests that I could run on this hub to confirm, one
way or the other, if the hub is up to snuff?

Here are the details for the hub:
"WiseCOM 8-Port 10BASE-T HUB

Compliant with 10BASE-T, 10BASE2 and 10BASE5 specifications of the
IEEE 802.3 standard.

Automatically partitioning function to isolate network failure.

Equipped with a variety of informative LEDs for easy viewing and
troubleshooting.

MDI-X/MDI selection switch, allowing you to swap the last 10BASE-T
port transmit and receive ping assignments to link your hub to another
hub.

easy to instll on a desktop environment

Emission:  FCC Part 15 Class A

Ethernet HUB for Workgroup"