Grub doesn't install

Ian mogplus8 at bigpond.net.au
Thu Sep 22 06:09:13 UTC 2005

Thanks guys,
Found an old Win98 boot floppy and booted with that. fdisk /mbr reset
the mbr to just boot straight into Windows, so that worked a treat.
Reinstalled FC4 again. First attempt ended with an error at the end of
the data collection phase and before it actually started installing
anything. The error was "Error informing the kernel about modifications
to partition /dev/hdb1 - Device or resource busy. This means Linux won't
know about any changes you made to /dev/hdb1 until you reboot - so you
shouldn't mount it or use it in any way before rebooting". I had a
choice of ignore or cancel, so clicked cancel, and it displayed another
error message saying basically the same thing and telling me I had to
reboot. Clicked that and the PC rebooted.
Tried again but this time selected manually partition instead of
automatic. Dunno why, but it is using something called LVM for my swap
and root partitions. The /boot partition doesn't seem to be in LVM. When
the partition screen comes up this is what I see:
VolGroup00
    LogVol00        /           ext3           8608
    LogVol01                    swap          1024
/dev/hda
    /dev/hda1                     ntfs            38154
/dev/hdb
    /dev/hdb1         /boot    ext3           102
    /dev/hdb2         VolGroup00       LVM PV       9664

This time I ensured it would format all partitions, and the install
completed successfully. On reboot the PC booted straight into Windows,
no grub screen, no nuthin'. Rebooted from FC4 CD1 and entered "linux
rescue", then chroot /mnt/sysimage, then grub-install /dev/hda. The
response was "/dev/hdb1 does not have any corresponding BIOS drive".
I don't get it. I can successfully install Ubuntu and Mandrake, but not
FC4. Ubuntu successfully installs grub (Mandrake installs lilo). But the
thing I really don't get is that I have successfully installed FC4
before, grub and everything, not a problem. It's only since I started
mucking around with Ubuntu that I can't install FC4 any more.
Would it be a smart idea to change my bios to boot from my slave, (i.e.
hdb), instead of the primary, and tell FC4 to install grub to hdb
instead of hda? Can I even do that?
Alternatively, can I set up a boot floppy for FC4? I think it might be
easier than trying to sort out this conundrum...
Thanks,
Ian