Need Help With Simple Partitioning Scheme

The Engineer short.circuit at btinternet.com
Thu Sep 22 12:06:38 UTC 2005

Hi guys.

Thanks a lot for all your replies.

BTW, some of you may have noticed that I posted the same message on the 'FedoraForum'

>From all the replies that I have had from both forums, I have decided to go along with:

/dev/hdb1 /boot (100MB)
/dev/hdb2 Extended
/dev/hdb5 Swap (512MB)
/dev/hdb6 / (8GB)
/dev/hdb7 /home (3GB)
/dev/hdb8 FAT32 partition (27GB)

As it's for a stand-alone (single user) Desktop/small WorkStation for practicing LINUX and  C-Programming, I think that it's very unlikely that I will run out of space.

I'm Partition Magic (PM) user and will create the above with it (ext2), then migrate to ext3 during the installation stage.

>From past experience, I will create very tiny gaps of unallocated space between each partition.  This is because of the problems that have arisen, when creating partitions, due to the differences in the way that DiskDruid and PM make partitions.
( I used to get beginning or end partition overlap errors in PM )

FC4 seems to have corrected them compared to FC1/2 (which I gave up on when it destroyed my partition table (PT) ).

I assume that the above partition scheme can be used with future versions of FC and RH Desktop.

Cheers,

Jules