nvidia GEForce graphics card issue with FC4

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 14:30:54 UTC 2005

On 9/22/05, Globe Trotter <itsme_410 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- Jeff Vian <jvian10 at charter.net> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2005-09-22 at 09:03 +0200, Klaasjan Brand wrote:
> > > On 9/22/05, Globe Trotter <itsme_410 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > >         Has anyone successfully managed to get the following done?
> > > Installing the official nVidia drivers (which is explained on the
> > > referenced site) can be a bit complicated.
> >
> > What do you mean complicated?
> > It involves 2 steps and a reboot.
> > 1.  boot to runlevel 3 and login as root, cd to the directory where you
> > downloaded the NVIDIA.....run file, and run "sh NVIDIA....run" to
> > compile the driver.
> > 2.  edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf and change the driver from "nv" to "nvidia"
> > then reboot
> >
> > The most complex part is you must have installed the kernel-devel
> > package for your kernel for this to work.
> >
> > > If you just want the drivers to work, try the Livna packages by
> > > following the instructions at http://rpm.livna.org/livna-switcher.html
> > >

> > Admittedly, this is a simpler approach for the install, since you do not
> > even have to reboot to do the install, but you do have to still edit the
> > xorg.conf file and then reboot (or otherwise restart the X server) to
> > activate the new driver.
> >
> > However, if I was using the livna rpm approach, the recent snafu with
> > the xorg updates would have totally blown me away with inability to use
> > the nvidia driver until an updated package was available from livna.
> > I was able to recompile using the official package ( the .run file)
> > install procedure and was back up immediately.
> >
> I agree it is not complicated. However, at least nowadays, it is not possible
> to update the kernel module because it hangs while contacting ftp.mvidia.com.
>
> Thanks!

There is no reason for it to contact ftp.nvidia.com.  Tell it no when
it asks if it should try.  It won't find anything anyway.  Or better
yet, run the .run file with the -s option.  Then it should just
happily install the package without asking you questions.  Also, make
sure you have the kernel-devel package installed.  And most of the
stuff at the site you listed in your first email is unnecessary now.
Just install and edit your xorg.conf, changing "nv" to "nvidia" as
indicated above.  Also, no need to reboot, just run "init 3" before
installing and "init 5" afterwards.

Jonathan