Thinkpad T42 Display

John DeDourek dedourek at unb.ca
Thu Sep 22 16:03:12 UTC 2005

Matthew Saltzman wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Sep 2005, Clive Anderson wrote:
>
>> Hi, I just recently upgraded from Thinkpad T30 to a
>> Thinkpad T42 running FC4.  I need to be able to
>> connect a projector to the computer for presentations
>> and so far I have not being to do so. Does anyone know
>> what the proper xorg.conf settings to allow a
>> projector to work with the T42?
>

> On my T41 (Radeon Mobility 7500), it Just Works (modulo some display
> quality issues you can find in another recent thread).  In fact, the
> default is for both panel and VGA to be live, and there is no convenient
> way to make F7 toggle them.  (But see the radeontool command in pm-utils.)
>
> Which screen/video card do you have?  Which video driver are you using.
> What are your actual symptoms?  Does it work as expected in Windows (if
> you have it)?  What if you boot with the projector attached?  Does
> radeontool help?

This may be a regression on FC4 then.  On FC2, my T42 (graphics
identifies as Mobility Radeon 9600 M10 -- not sure if this is
standard for all T42s or whether different "models" may have
different video), holding Fn (function key) and pressing F7 toggles
among 1) laptop display only 2) external connector only and 3) both
(but I forget the order of this sequence 1,2,3 or 1,3,2).  So
if FC4 won't toggle and it's the same video, then something has
regressed.  I'll find out when I put up FC4 on the machine.