Which mail transport should I use.

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Thu Sep 22 17:11:45 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-22 at 10:00 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-09-22 at 07:51, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> > >
> > > It seems to me that sendmail is overly complicated to do this simple task,
> > > any suggestions on what to use or how to do is very much appreciated.
> >
> > I disagree. What you want is easy to achieve running Sendmail. But
> > without reading a bit of the documentation you won't get that far, of
> > course.

> But be careful what you read.  The fedora distribution supplies an
> intentionally-broken sendmail.cf so you have to rebuild it if you
> want to receive mail from outside at all.  However if you have
> installed the sendmail-devel, you get a Makefile in /etc/mail
> that automates all the grunge work after edits.

	You don't need sendmail-devel.

[root at mtking ~]# rpm -qa | grep sendmail
sendmail-8.13.4-2
sendmail-cf-8.13.4-2
[root at mtking ~]# rpm -qf /etc/mail/Makefile
sendmail-8.13.4-2

	Looks like it comes in the base sendmail package.

> > /etc/mail/sendmail.mc is to be edited. It already contains a prepared
> > and commented smart host entry (nearly at top). Then either give your
> > mail host a valid FQDN so Sendmail can detect it (make sure the first
> > dotted FQDN in /etc/hosts is that name). As an alternate you can
> > activate the masquerading settings which are too already prepared in
> > sendmail.mc.
>
> You might have to consult some other docs about what to change in
> sendmail.mc, but don't follow their instructions about how to
> rebuild sendmail.cf.  Just type 'make' in the /etc/mail directory
> and then restart sendmail. Likewise for the other files where
> you normally have to rebuild databases - but you don't have to
> restart sendmail for those (access, etc.).

	Yup...  That's the way to go...  Makes life a lot simpler.  Just be
sure that once you start working with the .mc files that you NEVER tweak
the .cf file.  Any changes you make directly to the .cf will get lost
next time you rebuild from the .mc file.  Seems obvious but there's
always some old timer who just has to twiddle under the hood...  :-)

	Not exactly relevant to this thread specifically but...

	I did notice one gotcha in the sendmail.mc file, though.  The
information on IPv6 is wrong.  To enable IPv6 you don't need BOTH MTA
statements, you only need to enable the IPv6 one (and it then handles
both IPv4 and IPv6 on Linux).

> dnl # The following causes sendmail to additionally listen on the IPv6 loopback
> dnl # device. Remove the loopback address restriction listen to the network.
> dnl #
> DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Name=MTA-v6, Family=inet6')dnl
> dnl #
> dnl # enable both ipv6 and ipv4 in sendmail:
> dnl #
> dnl DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Name=MTA-v4, Family=inet, Name=MTA-v6, Family=inet6')

	The second clause above is basically wrong.  You only need to enable
the first one (I have several servers operating in this way).  Plus you
have to comment out the IPv4 loopback clause further above these two
(obiviously, I had already removed the Addr=::1 from the IPv6 clause in
my quoted section above).

> --
>   Les Mikesell
>     lesmikesell at gmail.com