Move directory from one partition/device to another

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 22 18:26:35 UTC 2005

James Wilkinson wrote:
> Cameron Beattie wrote:
>

> Actually, I'm not convinced /etc/fstab is the biggest problem. The big
> problem is init (the first process on a Unix-like system and the
> ultimate parent of everything else), which wants to read /etc/inittab.
> Linux assumes that they will be on the root filesystem.
>
> You'd probably want to mess around with this on a scratch filesystem.

I'm a little at a loss to explain this thread's existence.

# du -hs /etc
61M     /etc
# exit
logout

Ok, it makes sense to move /home or /tmp to another disc, but
who cares about /etc? It's less than 100M on my machine.

[snip]

> There might be some value in all this for certain security-oriented
> systems: If /home, /tmp/, /var, /dev, and /etc are mounted from separate
> filesystems [1], everything else should be mountable read-only. This
> should minimise the chances of root filesystem errors, and the chance
> that anyone can install rootkits.
>
> James.
>
> [1] You may want to do something about root's home directory, too.

As a learning experience (as you mentioned in some stuff I snipped)
it would (maybe) be fun for some people. But I think that not much
extra security would be the outcome.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.