How to bring-up WLAN interface on IBM ThinkPad T43 laptop

Satish Balay balay at fastmail.fm
Thu Sep 22 20:32:23 UTC 2005

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005, David Le wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just installed FC4 on this labtop, and the WLAN
> interface is not up yet. Please let me know what I
> should do to bring this interface up. This device is
> shown by "lspci" command as:
>
> Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications, Inc.
> AR5212 802.11abg NIC (rev 01)

You'll have to install madwifi driver. There are prebuilt rpms at
http://atrpms.net/dist/fc4/madwifi/

And if you want ACPI-suspend to work on T43 - you'll need the latest
kernel [2.6.12-1.1456_FC4] - and rebuild with the following patch:

http://shamrock.dyndns.org/~ln/linux/sata_pm.2.6.12.diff

[more info at http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_make_ACPI_work]

And In this case you are better off installing madwifi from source

- get snapshot from http://madwifi.otaku42.de/
- make
- make install

Satish