kvm suggestions

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Thu Sep 22 23:01:32 UTC 2005

On Thursday 22 September 2005 5:26 pm, Thomas Taylor wrote:
> I'm looking for a new kvm switch to replace a Belkin 4 port SOHO which lost
> a port.  Don't want another of these as there are problems with the mouse
> when switching boxes.  I've tried every fix on each of the lists but
> nothing has fixed this problem.
>
> I got a store brand unit that works great but has hotkey switching
> (ctrl-ctrl) which can't be turned off.  This is very annoying when using
> hotkeys within a program and the kvm switches to another computer (GRRR).
>
> I need a PS2 keyboard/mouse (3button-wheel) and audio switching for 4
> ports. Can anyone on this list recommend such a device?  I've searched
> various sites but haven't found anything with the audio.

I will second the IOGear recommendation. It was recommended to me here on this
list. I installed a year ago and forgot about it. It only does keyboard
switching, however. But, the key combo is Ctl+Shift+Alt+port number - not too
likely that it will interfere with other hotkeys I would think. This is the
small unpowered heart-shaped unit with 4 attached cables - they have other
models as well. It handles high frequency video without a hitch, which is
also a consideration... I run mine at 1600X1200 but it is supposed to go
higher.

--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA