Important information regarding latest Xorg update packages

Jerry DeLisle jvdelisle at verizon.net
Fri Sep 23 02:39:20 UTC 2005

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> FYI
> http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Bugs/XorgUpdateFix

Please Note:  On my system, this bug completely hosed X.  I had to boot with 3
in the boot command to come up in run level 3 and manually delete the packages
and update to the new packages.

In trying to figure it out myself i saw the script error and did the delete
--noscripts just guessing.

The other odd behavior is that update decided it needed to install ati-fglrx
from livna.  I am not sure why.  That resulted in a boot time error looking for
the kernel module.  I suspect there are some dependency issues going on.

At least get the word out that this is recoverable.  However users that rely on
a single Linux box, may not be able to get their systems running well enough to
view mail or web pages to find out how to fix this.  This is most unfortunate.

--
Jerry