/etc/rc.d gone!

Bogdan-Stefan Rotariu bogdan at alterox.ro
Fri Sep 23 17:01:37 UTC 2005

Mike McCarty wrote:
> Tony Nelson wrote:

>>> you could get and install initscripts-*
>>

>> The OP might need a bit more instructions here on how to do this when
>> his
>> machine only boots to runlevel 0.  With / read-only, it will be hard to
>> install anything.
>>
>> I'd suggest checking the disk and the filesystem using the rescue CD,
>> and
>> maybe reinstalling the OS, but what do I know.
>
> IMO, you know a lot, Tony. I've been impressed with the quality of your
> posts.
>
> I'd try a rescue disc (like Knoppix, e.g.) and see if I couldn't
> mount that and restore /etc from a backup.
>
> Mike
As Tony said, you should fsck your harddrive(s) to check for errors, and
if no errors found
you, should better try the FC3 rescue disc or the CD1/DVD of FC3, and
mount it read/write.
Then download the initscripts RPM for fc3 and move it to /mnt/sysimage
(where your actually
linux will be) and chroot /mnt/sysimage. Installing it (i think will
need to be force(
rpm -ivh initscripts-* --force --nodeps ...

hope that helps you

--
Bogdan-Stefan Rotariu
Senior Network Administrator