NetworkManager in KDE?

Chris Stark cstark at hawaii.edu
Fri Sep 23 18:38:42 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-23 at 07:04 -0400, Trey Sizemore wrote:
> Can someone tell me how (if it's even possible) to utilize/make changes
> to NetworkManager from within KDE?  I can't get it to appear as an
> applet in the KDE taskbar or 'invoke' it in any way.  I really don't
> use the Gnome desktop.

If you have the system tray applet running, you could launch the gnome
applet from a command line (I think it's "NetworkManagerInfo"). This
will put the wireless scanner/cabled indicator into your system tray. If
you exit KDE normally (i.e., logout instead of ctrl-alt-backspace), the
applet should auto launch the next time you login. I use it on my laptop
and it works fine.

Are you trying to do something else, or does this answer your question?

I read the linked KDE dev blog, and although I am sure that a native
applet would be better, this seems to work for the time being.

Aloha,
--
Chris Stark
Musician, Linux User, & Grad Student