Strange warning in dmesg output on FC3

John Wendel john.wendel at metnet.navy.mil
Fri Sep 23 22:54:58 UTC 2005

Spencer Kellis wrote:
> I found the following warning in my dmesg log, and I cannot find any
> references to the warning, or what it means, or how to fix whatever
> caused the warning:
>
> Warning: /proc/ide/hd?/settings interface is obsolete, and will be
> removed soon!
>
> Any ideas out there?
>
> Thanks -
> Spencer

Use the source, Luke!

This message is from the ide driver, and it's warning you that
sometime in the future the /proc/ide/hd?/settings interface will be
removed from the kernel and you should plan to stop using it.

Most likely, you have an init script that is using this interface to
set a disk parameter (like dma off/on or something).

You don't need to do anything. The maintainer of the init script (or
whatever) will have to fix the problem when the interface is actually
removed from the kernel.

Regards,

John