Forthcoming FC4 kernel update, more testing required.

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Sat Sep 24 02:47:57 UTC 2005

On Fri, Sep 23, 2005 at 07:33:01PM -0700, Peter Gordon wrote:
 > On Fri, 2005-09-23 at 21:49 -0400, Dave Jones wrote:
 > > I've completed a 2.6.13 kernel rebase, and pushed out a
 > > test kernel to fc4-updates-testing.  (FC3 probably won't
 > > get another rebase before EOL).
 >
 > Cool. Does this include the new not-so-nice-yet PCMCIA stuff?
 > I ask this because yum doesn't want to install pcmciautils or the like
 > when I enable the updates-testing repo and run `yum update kernel`.

No, I'm playing it safe for FC4 and going with 'minimal change'.
For the shiny new toys, either jump into rawhide, or wait until FC5.

The problem with the new stuff is the pain of updating userspace.
It's guaranteed to break some configurations, and FC4 is supposedly
our 'stable' release right now.

		Dave