Nut,usb and installation

david walcroft david_walcroft at yahoo.com.au
Sat Sep 24 08:13:57 UTC 2005

Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Sep 2005, david walcroft wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>   I'm trying to set up my ups  [Powermate 3105]  so far :
>>
>> 1/ It's recognised as 'Vendor=0592 Prodid=0002'
>>
>> 2/ Kernel message : 'reddwarf kernel: usb 2-1: new low speed USB
>> device using uhci_hcd and address 2'
>>
>> I installed 'CheckUPS' from Powermate.com.au
>>
>> Read posts at marc.theaimsgroup, didn't appear to help (serial
>> connections as against usb)
>>
>> Have problems in understanding which port or pipe to use.
>>
>> similar problem in uderstanding how you start it running and the
>> config files for me are murder to work through.
>>
>> I realy need someone to help me install/run Nut/CheckUPS
>>
>>  Thanks     david
>

> ALthough there's no documentation refrerring to it, you need to
> configure nut in FC using /etc/sysconfig/ups.  Things that you can set
> there need to be set there.  Other things are configured using the files
> in /etc/ups.
>
> Also, there's a bug against the kernel (can't get to Bugzilla to check
> the number just now due to flakey net connection) regarding the hidups
> driver and unhandled interrupts that may cause you problems (unless it's
> fixed in the latest updates-testing kernel).

Matthew,
        Progress so far,read Bugzilla Bug 164051 and 160700 Very helpful
upgraded to nut 2.0.2.1 and able start nut with the result :

[david at reddwarf ~]$ sudo service ups restart
Stopping UPS monitor:                                      [FAILED]
Stopping upsd:                                             [FAILED]
Shutting down Powermate-3105:                              [FAILED]
Starting Powermate-3105: /etc/init.d/functions: line 148:
/sbin/Powermate-3105: No such file or directory
                                                            [FAILED]
Starting upsd: Network UPS Tools upsd 2.0.2
Can't chdir to /var/run/nut: No such file or directory
                                                            [FAILED]
Starting UPS monitor (master): Network UPS Tools upsmon 2.0.1
UPS: genericups at reddwarf (master) (power value 1)
Using power down flag file /etc/killpower

                                                            [  OK  ]
But not able to tell if nut is doing anything.

     Thanks  david