Inel Wireless 2915ABG & FC4 on Dell Inspiron 9300

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Sat Sep 24 15:50:07 UTC 2005

| From: Linux <linux at strigen.com>

| Scot L. Harris wrote:

| > And you probably need to locate the firmware and install that in the
| > /lib/firmware directory.
| >
| > There are RPMS for the firmware or you can pull the firmware from the
| > sourceforge site.  (actually they link you to the site that has it.)

| I think all is installed, but in the /var/log Messages I can see the
| following, looks like something goes wrong.

| Sep 22 22:23:34 localhost kernel: ipw2200: Detected Intel PRO/Wireless 2915ABG
| Network Connection
| Sep 22 22:23:34 localhost kernel: ipw2200: ipw-2.2-boot.fw load failed: Reason
| -2
| Sep 22 22:23:34 localhost kernel: ipw2200: Unable to load firmware: 0xFFFFFFFE

| Does anyone have any suggestions of what it could be?

The message suggests to me that you have not installed a firmware RPM.
Here's the list of files contained in the firmware RPM I got from
livna.  Do you have the firmware files on your system?

    $ rpm -ql ipw2200-firmware-2.2-0.lvn.2.4
    /lib/firmware/ipw-2.2-boot.fw
    /lib/firmware/ipw-2.2-bss.fw
    /lib/firmware/ipw-2.2-bss_ucode.fw
    /lib/firmware/ipw-2.2-ibss.fw
    /lib/firmware/ipw-2.2-ibss_ucode.fw
    /lib/firmware/ipw2200-2.2-LICENSE
    /usr/share/doc/ipw2200-firmware-2.2
    /usr/share/doc/ipw2200-firmware-2.2/ipw2200-2.2-LICENSE

I explained this recently on this list, in the middle of this message:
  https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2005-September/msg02156.html

Hints for problem solving:
- read the log to see where things first appear to go wrong
- google for the message(s)