Nut,usb and installation

Thomas Taylor linxt at comcast.net
Sun Sep 25 21:43:56 UTC 2005

On Saturday 24 September 2005 18:43, david walcroft wrote:
> Markku Kolkka wrote:
> > david walcroft kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika sunnuntai, 25.
> >
> > syyskuuta 2005 00:37):
> >># If the UPS is locally attached set it to "yes"
> >>SERVER=yes
> >># Model of the UPS (filename to call for it, without path)
> >># Example - one of
> >>#       apcsmart        - APC SMartUPS and similar
> >>#       fentonups       - Fenton UPS
> >>#       optiups
> >>#       bestups
> >>#       genericups
> >>#       ups-trust425+625
> >>#  upsdrvctl
> >># You MUST change this, or set SERVER to "no"
> >># To support multiple drivers, set MODEL=upsdrvctl
> >>MODEL=Powermate-3105
> >
> > The "MODEL" parameter does _not_ mean the actual model of your
> > ups, you must set it to the nut driver used for your UPS (or
> > "upsdrvctl").
> >
> >># UPS device - needed if UPS is locally attached
> >>DEVICE=/dev/ttyS0
> >
> > Wasn't your UPS connected through USB, not the serial port?
>
> Ok, I'll set up with MODEL=genericups, but I'm not sure what USB uses
> for connections <socket> <port> and how to determine the same for a
> config file.
>
> Thanks for all you help Markku.
>
>                                    david

-- To find out where udev is putting your ups, as root run
"tail /var/log/message" after plugging the ups into the usb socket, the entry
you want will probably contain /dev/ttyUSB1..4.  But be warned, it may not
always be loaded as the same usb device depending on other usb devices being
plugged or unplugged.

You will probably have to write a rule for your ups.  Take a look at the man
page for udev and examine the existing rules in /etc/udev/rules.d to get the
idea.  It would be a good idea to create a "file" under /dev, sav /dev/ups,
and put a symlink pointing to it in the rule.

Hope this helps,
Tom

Oops:  Looks like I made a mistake on the rules location the first time I sent
this.  It's corrected above.

-
Tom Taylor
Linux user #263467