fedora and GNU GRUB

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Mon Sep 26 02:38:45 UTC 2005

Gregorio Canelos wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> I'm new to fedora core 4 and this list.   I got my hands dirty pretty
> fast, and now I can't get the dirt off......
> That is,   I somehow ended up in the GRUB command-line after
> rebooting, after an uninstall of rehmudi packages.   I don't know GRUB
> and can't really follow the GRUB how-to's. .  .  What's the command to
> boot up with the linux partition?
>
> Thanks,
> Gregorio

If you boot from the rescue disc, it should find your installation. If
it finds your Fedora installation, it should mount your installation as
/mnt/sysimage and if you have a seperate /boot partition, it will be
mounted as /mnt/sysimage/boot.
You will be directed by a prompt to run the chroot program with the
directory argument as /mnt/sysimage. This will change your directory
path to / for /mnt/sysimage and the //mnt/sysimage/boot partition will
be /boot.
Anyway, you should have the environment of your Fedora installation and
can run commands to recover/ reinstall grub to a working stage.
If you have ATA drives, running the below command should reinstall grub
and get you to where you can boot your system and grub is installed
correctly.
grub-install /dev/hda
This installs grub to your Master Boot Record where grub is usually
installed.

If I misunderstood your problem, please post more details related to
your failure. (Hard drive type, steps taken to install Fedora and how
you attempted to uninstall the other programs.)

Jim

--
QOTD:
	If it's too loud, you're too old.