mounting floppy in read/write mode by user (mystery remains)

Deepak Shrestha d8888pak at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 26 02:44:37 UTC 2005

Hi,

I got my floppy mounted but don't understand the
mystery behind it. What I did was:
1) removed the link to floppy I created manually from
desktop.
2) opened the KDE control center.
3) under the Desktop section > behavior tab > show
devices icon, checked the unmounted floppy
4) KDE now created the floppy icon in my desktop

at this point my fstab looks that this (as suggested
previously): (NOTE: fstab is one line)
-------------------------------
/dev/fd0  /media/floppy  auto
pamconsole,exec,noauto,user 0 0
--------------------------------------

Now I can mount the floppy by double cliking the icon
or just give command
$ mount /media/floppy (as normal user)
both works

5) Just to make sure it does work with the original
fstab setting I changed back my fstab back to
-----------------------------
/dev/fd0  /media/floppy  auto
pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
6) reboot fedora
It still works without problem.

Now, I am bit confused here. It seems like KDE does
something behind. Does KDE use differnt ID or method
to access the floppy?

Thanks all for your valuable suggestions.

Deepak K. Shrestha