fedora and GNU GRUB

Gregorio Canelos gtc at email.arizona.edu
Mon Sep 26 02:55:05 UTC 2005

Jim Cornette wrote:

> Gregorio Canelos wrote:
>
>> Hello Everyone,
>>
>> I'm new to fedora core 4 and this list.   I got my hands dirty pretty
>> fast, and now I can't get the dirt off......
>> That is,   I somehow ended up in the GRUB command-line after
>> rebooting, after an uninstall of rehmudi packages.   I don't know
>> GRUB and can't really follow the GRUB how-to's. .  .  What's the
>> command to boot up with the linux partition?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Gregorio
>>
> If you boot from the rescue disc, it should find your installation. If
> it finds your Fedora installation, it should mount your installation
> as /mnt/sysimage and if you have a seperate /boot partition, it will
> be mounted as /mnt/sysimage/boot.
> You will be directed by a prompt to run the chroot program with the
> directory argument as /mnt/sysimage. This will change your directory
> path to / for /mnt/sysimage and the //mnt/sysimage/boot partition will
> be /boot.
> Anyway, you should have the environment of your Fedora installation
> and can run commands to recover/ reinstall grub to a working stage.
> If you have ATA drives, running the below command should reinstall
> grub and get you to where you can boot your system and grub is
> installed correctly.
> grub-install /dev/hda
> This installs grub to your Master Boot Record where grub is usually
> installed.
>
> If I misunderstood your problem, please post more details related to
> your failure. (Hard drive type, steps taken to install Fedora and how
> you attempted to uninstall the other programs.)
>
> Jim

I had forgotten that a rescue disc existed, so that never came into my
mind.  I'm currently in the middle of reinstalling the entire OS, and I
chose the option to overwrite the existing linux partition.  although
time-consuming, this should work right?

About the unintall thing,...I had tried to install the Agnula/Rehmudi
packages on top of Fedora Core 4 in order to get some special ALSA and
JACK capabilties.  I thought Rehmudi would be good, because I know
nothing about scripts or configuring sound card stuff, I so
thought---have Rehmudi do it.

I logged in as root, mounted the cd, and went to the cd folder in the
command-line.   I ran the installer, and the window was fine, but during
the installation, there all kinds of errors concerning depencies, so the
installation was half-succesful. Then, I decided to uninstall Rehmudi,
which seemed to work. Upon rebooting, I was placed in the command-line
boot-loader.

Is this normal behavior when un-installing software packages?

Also, I don't know if Rehmudi is recommended or not.

Thanks!!!!
Gregorio