error in local yum mirror; yum mirror best practices

Antony Nguyen antonyn at tonyrockyhorror.com
Mon Sep 26 17:47:50 UTC 2005

Hello,

I try to be a good Netizen by running my own yum updates repository for
the 100+ servers I manage.  For the most part, it works properly:  I just
rsync one of the official yum repository mirrors and point all of my
machines to my local server.

However, every once in a while, I'll get the following error on a machine
I'm trying to update:

http://update/yum/Fedora/Extras/4/i386/repodata/primary.xml.gz: [Errno -1]
Metadata file does not match checksum

("update" is my local update server).  This usually only  happens with the
Extras repository.  I've tried removing this file and rsyc'ing against a
couple different yum repositories, but I still get this error.

Is there a "best practices" methodology I should be following in order to
run my own yum mirror?  I'm assuming that there is a special case when
dealing with this metadata file and that I probably can't rely on a simple
rsync.

Thanks,
Tony

--

A sadist is a masochist who follows the Golden Rule.