Linux-compatible webcam recommendations invited

Reshat Sabiq sabiq at csociety.org
Mon Sep 26 18:24:33 UTC 2005

David Becker wrote:

>Reshat Sabiq wrote:
>

>I also have a working Philips webcam (PCVC740K). Microphone is
>recognized, it works in Gnomemeeting and I also use it with 'motion'.
>The drivers used to a bit of a hassle, especially the decompressor
>routines, but support has increased at http://www.saillard.org/linux/pwc/
>
>You'll probably not be able to find this webcam anymore, at least not
>new. Bear in mind that the advertised 1280x960 is interpolated and I've
>only got this resolution in Windows. I even suspect the 640x480 to be
>interpolated, but I'm not sure. In Windows I can get a maximum of 60fps
>(at low resolutions). In linux the max is 30fps.
>
>You may also want to pay attention to whether the webcam is CCD or CMOS
>based. This Philips is CCD based, has a somewhat higher light
>sensitivity than comparable CMOS based webcams and this particular model
>is apparently much appreciated for astro photography (something I'd like
>to try out one of these days).
>
>	David

I got STX webcam to work, which should save me about $90 on 2 webcams,
in comparison to what it would have cost w/ Pro 4000. I'm not sure if
Pro 4000's driver would have provided anymore features, but the
essentials i need are there on STX: video and mic support. I think the 2
webcams have about the same features, so it's a good thing that STX
works as well. The only difference is that STX requires spca driver,
which means everytime the kernel is upgraded, it needs to be
re-installed. Maybe one day it will be adopted by FC as well.

I'm not sure what the reason is, but FC3 and FC4 both had problems:
FC3: sound, but not mic
FC4 (including updates): mic, but not sound

But when i installed the latest alsa and sound-config rpms on top of
FC4, sound started working, and mic was still working as well: so
problem was solved.