Failed FC4 SATA Install

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Mon Sep 26 19:09:31 UTC 2005

On Mon, Sep 26, 2005 at 04:08:48PM +0100, Jonathan Allen wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm trying to do my first FC4 install on a SATA drive/machine.  All is not
> going well.
>
> I have been right through the installation several times, with various
> combinations of automatic and manual disc partitioning schemes, but they
> all seem to bomb out with the following logs:
>
> F3:
>    * moving (1) to step fixupconditionals
>    * moving (1) to step checkdeps
>    * moving (1) to step confirminstall
>
> F4:
>    <6>kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
>    <4>EXT3-fs warning: mounting fs with errors, running e2fsck is recommended
>    <6>EXT3 FS on hda1, internal journal
>    <6>EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode
>    <6>SELinux: initialised (dev hda1, type ext3), uses xattr
>    <6>attempt to access beyond end of device
>    <6>hda1: rw=0, want 524360, limit 208782
>    <2>EXT3-fs error (device hda1): ext3_get_inode_loc: unable to read inode
>       block inode=32769, block=65544
>    <3>Aborting journal on device hda1
>    <4>inode_doinit_with_dentry:  getxattr returned 5 for dev=hda1 ino=32769
>
> Any clues as to what to try next ?
>
> Jonathan

In order to get FC4 to work on machines with SATA drives I had to go into
the BIOS and change the SATA drive option. Now the bad news since I am
not at the machines I do not remember which option I chose. It was not the
default option and among the options it was not the combination option.
In our BIOS it was the second option made up of two or three words where
the last word was SATA. If I am at work tomorrow I can be more specific.
In my case with every kernel I got a kernel panic because the initrd file
could not be properly accessed.

Authors are easy to get on with -- if you're fond of children.
		-- Michael Joseph, "Observer"
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University