Forthcoming FC4 kernel update, more testing required. [ I think it's broken. ]

Jonathan Ryshpan jonrysh at pacbell.net
Mon Sep 26 20:08:57 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-23 at 21:49 -0400, Dave Jones wrote:
> I've completed a 2.6.13 kernel rebase, and pushed out a
> test kernel to fc4-updates-testing.  (FC3 probably won't
> get another rebase before EOL).
>
> Please give this a try on your systems, and file any
> bugs that you happen upon in bugzilla.
>
> You can also find interim 'snapshot' builds at
> http://people.redhat.com/davej/kernels/Fedora/FC4/
> which may fix additional problems since the last updates-testing
> release.
>
> I'm hoping to get this pushed out fairly soon depending upon
> the feedback I get from how well this kernel works out.

I've been having trouble with kernel version 2.6.12-1.1456_FC4, so I
downloaded 2.6.13-1.1525_FC4 and tried it.  It seems to be broken in the
same way, namely:

Hardware:
        CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+ running at 3 GHz
        Video Card: Sapphire Card running ATI RV280 [Radeon 9200]
        Motherboard: Asus K8N-E Deluxe with NVIDIA chipset

Software:
        Various Linux Kernels
        X.Org version 6.8.2

Problems:
        The system won't boot properly.  It starts normally, and gets as
        far as displaying "Initializing hardware... ", and then, when
        the screen is reinitialized the display disappears, and is
        replaced by a small square of colored vertical lines in the
        middle of the monitor.  I don't think the keyboard works either,
        though it's hard to tell without a display.

        The system will boot properly if given a "linux single" command,
        and the X-Windows subsystem can then be started OK using a
        "telinit 5" command.

        The above comments apply to kernel versions:
                2.6.12-1.1456_FC4 and
                2.6.13-1.1525_FC4
        when starting from a cold (turned off) system.

        They apply sometimes to kernel versions
                2.6.12-1.1398_FC4 and
                2.6.12-1.1447_FC4
        I think only on an attempt to reboot.

        Once the system is started, it seems to run fine.

More info available on request.

jon