Forthcoming FC4 kernel update, more testing required. [ I think it's broken. ]

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Mon Sep 26 20:24:28 UTC 2005

On Mon, Sep 26, 2005 at 01:08:57PM -0700, Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:

 > Hardware:
 >         CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+ running at 3 GHz
 >         Video Card: Sapphire Card running ATI RV280 [Radeon 9200]
 >         Motherboard: Asus K8N-E Deluxe with NVIDIA chipset
 >
 > Software:
 >         Various Linux Kernels
 >         X.Org version 6.8.2
 >
 > Problems:
 >         The system won't boot properly.  It starts normally, and gets as
 >         far as displaying "Initializing hardware... ", and then, when
 >         the screen is reinitialized the display disappears, and is
 >         replaced by a small square of colored vertical lines in the
 >         middle of the monitor.  I don't think the keyboard works either,
 >         though it's hard to tell without a display.
 >
 >         The system will boot properly if given a "linux single" command,
 >         and the X-Windows subsystem can then be started OK using a
 >         "telinit 5" command.
 >
 >         The above comments apply to kernel versions:
 >                 2.6.12-1.1456_FC4 and
 >                 2.6.13-1.1525_FC4
 >         when starting from a cold (turned off) system.
 >
 >         They apply sometimes to kernel versions
 >                 2.6.12-1.1398_FC4 and
 >                 2.6.12-1.1447_FC4
 >         I think only on an attempt to reboot.

Is this using the stock xorg ati driver, or ATI's firegl driver ?
Does it still happen if you set your /etc/X11/xorg.conf to use
the vesa driver instead ?  It sounds more like an X driver issue
than a kernel issue at first impression.

If you have this box networked, can you log into it when the display
is garbled ? If so, grabbing the X logs from /var/log/ may yield
some clues.

You have all the Xorg errata installed I assume ?

		Dave