Forthcoming FC4 kernel update, more testing required. [ I think it's broken. ]

James Wilkinson fedora at westexe.demon.co.uk
Mon Sep 26 22:26:55 UTC 2005

Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
> I've been having trouble with kernel version 2.6.12-1.1456_FC4, so I
> downloaded 2.6.13-1.1525_FC4 and tried it.  It seems to be broken in the
> same way, namely:
>
> Hardware:
>         CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+ running at 3 GHz
>         Video Card: Sapphire Card running ATI RV280 [Radeon 9200]
>         Motherboard: Asus K8N-E Deluxe with NVIDIA chipset

Is this 32 bit or 64 bit?

I hope you mean "running at 2 GHz". A 3000 at 3 GHz would be seriously
over-clocked: you'd need to reproduce your results on a non-overclocked
system.

I can report that I have a 3200 Athlon 64 running (at 2 GHz) on an Asus
A8N-SLI with a PCI ATI Radeon 9250, and have no troubles with either
kernel-2.6.12-1.1456_FC4.x86_64 or kernel-2.6.13-1.1524_FC4.x86_64.

That is, once I'd got the Radeon working stably...

> Software:
>         Various Linux Kernels
>         X.Org version 6.8.2
>
> Problems:
>         The system won't boot properly.  It starts normally, and gets as
>         far as displaying "Initializing hardware... ", and then, when
>         the screen is reinitialized the display disappears, and is
>         replaced by a small square of colored vertical lines in the
>         middle of the monitor.  I don't think the keyboard works either,
>         though it's hard to tell without a display.

Does the Caps Lock LED work? (The Logitech keyboard I'm typing on seems
to handle the Num Lock LED itself, and the Scroll Lock key actually has
a purpose under Linux, so pressing Scroll Lock won't necessarily light
the Scroll Lock key). But the Caps Lock key is a fairly good indication
of whether there's anything listening to the keyboard...

Again, which X driver are you using? I've found that I've had to switch
to the "ati" driver to get stability (it seems to be the "turning off
dri" that does it). Does that work for you? (Although I just get hard
lock-ups with DRI enabled).

Hope this helps,

James.
--
E-mail address: james | Never ask, "Oh, why were things so much better
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | in the old days?"